Judgment of Queen Elizabeth I by Hans Eworth
Judgment of Queen Elizabeth I
Elizabeth I and the Three Goddesses.
Hans Eworth, 1569. Royal Collection, Hampton Court Palace, London.
- Hans Eworth’s Elizabeth I and the Three Goddesses (1569), housed at Hampton Court Palace, ingeniously subverts the classic myth of the Judgment of Paris to serve political and dynastic propaganda. In this vibrant Tudor panel, Queen Elizabeth I stands outside Windsor Castle holding the orb of state, effectively replacing Paris as the arbiter. However, rather than forcing her to choose between the three goddesses—Juno, Minerva, and Venus—the painting portrays the divine trio fleeing or submitting in astonishment before the Queen. Juno loses her shoe in haste, Minerva stares in awe, and Venus sits humbled beside Cupid. Framed by an inscription detailing the Tudor line, the artwork visually asserts Elizabeth’s absolute political legitimacy, her triumph over classical ideals, and the peace and stability she brought to Protestant England.
- Symbolically and spiritually, the painting elevates Elizabeth into a figure of divine virtue who surpasses the limited attributes of pagan deities. While the classical myth ended in ruin because Paris chose Venus's sensual beauty over wisdom and power, Elizabeth holds the orb that embodies all three qualities simultaneously: Juno’s royal majesty, Minerva’s divine wisdom, and Venus’s consummate grace and love. Spiritually, as a devoutly Protestant monarch, Elizabeth is presented not merely as a worldly sovereign, but as a God-appointed "Virgin Queen" whose divine grace and purity eclipse pagan idols. By unifying power, wisdom, and beauty without succumbing to earthly temptation, she secures divine favor for her realm, turning a myth of discord into a spiritual celebration of peace, order, and heavenly righteousness.
See Also
Home » Museum » Paintings Gallery » Judgment of Queen Elizabeth I by Hans Eworth